Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Can I go for a swim with a Dolphin?

Minding my own business this afternoon (a right scorcher it was and all), downing a couple of bags of wine gums I snatched off another unsuspecting tourist, I overheard a bit of a ruckus going on between two of our feeders, I mean taxi drivers, and so I shuffled over to listen in.  

They were arguing about whether or not we should have a dolphinarium here in Gibraltar and, whilst I may not look like the sharpest knife in the box, I'm a pretty talented ape. The guy who sounded like he was against the whole thing was talking about how the dolphins are treated badly and how we don't need it and that, somehow, there could be a better use of the land.  Funnily enough, there was no suggestion from him as to what exactly would be more 'imaginative.'  I found it particularly funny how the guy saying it was a bad idea had had such a good time on holiday with the kids last year, swimming with Dolphins... but not in Gibraltar, no, we're better than all that!

The guy who was in favour of it seemed to have really done his homework.   I surreptitiously took a detailed note of what he said.  A summary of the main attractions was an interactive swim with dolphins experience as well as sea lion and parrot shows; a walk-through aquarium centre which would include many indigenous species; a Battle of Trafalgar and Nelson display housed within a specially constructed museum (which sounds fantastic); leisure facilities including a restaurant, bar, children’s play area and shop as well as a classroom and day centre facility for special needs children. Heck, we could with some of that action up here!

The taxi driver couldn't be sure but said that surely a project like this would see significant investment (maybe somewhere over £20m, I wonder how many packets of monkey nuts that gets me), a rebuild and regeneration of the area of Rosia Bay to which anglers would still have access, giving us a much improved tourist product which would generate a significant amount of business. Quite apart from that, and as irrelevant as it may be for me up here, it looks as if the project would generate significant employment and therefore additional revenue, whatever that is...

Frankly, it sounds like a great deal of fun. I'd love to go for a swim myself with the dolphins and I'm sure that so would many of our special needs children, which studies show respond positively to interaction with animals generally and dolphins specifically.  I really don't understand what all the fuss is about and why so many are against it.  They've probably got caught up in the frenzy fed by one or two who may have more than just 'animal rights' in mind, but hey, I'm in captivity and let's be honest, I hardly have a hard life...

But what do I know, I'm just an ape with a stub for a tail...

2 comments:

  1. Ghost says:
    This monkey may well be on the ball and may well show some taxi drivers a trick or two. Nevertheless little has been said by GOG or Caruana rather on the issue. I agree that exploring these ideas would be good and there is no doubt that the investment way well create long term jobs and a new tourism product sited within an exceptional and historical location. My question is, why has it taken so long to develop / beautify an area which has so much history - I hate to say it but Mr Squeaky has a point when her refers to developers taking it on subject to tender agreements and then dumping it whilst retaining the profitable element> I find it hard to understand that a Govt which quite frankly seems to have its finger on the pulse has allowed this to happen..........I wonder if my fellow monkey has an opinion on this?
    Ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pavana says:

    I was sitting on the fence about the dolphinarium, well, not actually on the fence, on my nest, busy squalking, peeing & pooing on those annoying humans who live under our nesting boxes. Those Bl**dy Humans!! Should be culled, but thats another story!

    Anyway, As I was saying, Rosia Bay has been in abandon & disrepair since the early eighties.

    I used to go to the club there as a young gull, when it was MOD & they paid for the upkeep of it all.

    I think that when the AACR was in power, they tendered out Rosia Plaza for development with the condition the the Bay below be developed also, I may be wrong, but I believe that was the case. The developer then, also fell through on there commitment,like the Anchorage Developers now,simply because it was just way to expensive to refurbish & maintain Rosia Mole.

    Once the GSLP got into power nothing was planned or was proposed during those eight years, although there was plenty of boat activity in the area, but Rosia Bay, just fell further & further into disrepair.

    Rosia Mole will cost millions, so if a private developer can take this on, at no extra cost to Gibraltar, create jobs & new revenue, preserve all the historic elements, have a Trafalgar & Nelson museum, an educational center, leisure & fishing facilities for all those annoying humans and if the dolphins have been bred in captivity. Well then? I say....BRING IT ON !!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let me know what you think. When you post, I'll review it and if it's 'safe' I'll post it to the blog. I'd love to know what you think