Friday, May 21, 2010

Punch & Judy politics?

Just taking a break from parading my leathery bottom to a few tourists to catch up on the news today and, my oh my, the PDP's Keith Azopardi may be having a Clegg moment. He says, "We want to know what people think and show everyone that we are a strong real alternative to the old acrimonious, destructive, Punch and Judy politics of the GSD and GSLP."  
The coverage of the UK election was pretty special and it got quite boring quite quickly to hear Nick Clegg, who had nothing to lose and everything to gain after his performances on the leaders' debates, how he was the alternative to the old and tired politics, over and over and over again.  It was the catchphrase for his election.  Result?  Hung parliament.
Now, 'hanging around' is something us apes are quite partial to but its not quite so much good fun when what's hanging around is a country's governing institutions. No direction, no leadership.  But we all know what happened next...
I wonder what other unexpected and impossible allegiances a similar approach locally may bring about?  Who knows....
But what do I know, I'm just an ape with a stub for a tail...





3 comments:

  1. Ghost says:
    are you really suggesting that KA of the PDP has the political weight to force a hung parliament? Highly unlikely!! It seems clear that the PDP have adopted an approach in which they have resorted (mistakingly) in trying to discredit Caruana on almost all issues of the day with no real substance and in the hope that they may well appeal to voters that cannot bring themselves to vote for GSLP for obvious reasons. This strategy is unproductive and quite frankly undemocratic - the fact remains that like Caruana or not his policies have created unimaginable success for Gibraltar and as opposed to working with this and coming up with real motives for the good of Gibraltar in which intelligent checks and balances are provoked, we have resorted to accepting playground politics with no imagination and true conviction that at the very least gives way to ideas where one might be tempted to believe that motives are genuine and in the best interests of society and not just another cheap jibe. If an opposition that was capable of accepting credit where it was due whilst posing truly worth while ideas and solutions existed, then there would be something to play for and all in the interests of our future and not a bunch of muppets with a chip on their shoulder.....and I am not just referring to PDP. In my view Caruana would be the first to admit that being in Govt for 13 years is wholly undemocratic - the frightening thing is that to date no one has yet shown the type of leadership, strength to make tough calls, diplomacy, statesmanship....oh and arrogance to continue to take Gib forward!
    Ghost

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good initiative setting up this blog but, sorry, I don't think it'll ever come close to rivalling the excellent Llanito World which has captured the mood of the moment - and a massive audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, for what its worth, you're entirely entitled to your opinion. Whether this rivals Llanito World or not isn't really a matter of any concern to me. I congratulate Llanito World for having attracted a good following. If anyone reads my blog, great. If no one reads my blog, that's fine too. I think you'll find I too am entitled to my opinion

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let me know what you think. When you post, I'll review it and if it's 'safe' I'll post it to the blog. I'd love to know what you think